Using your senses
A simple mindfulness exercise is to notice what you are experiencing right now through any or all of your five senses: sound, sight, touch, taste, and smell.
Take a few slow breaths and ask yourself:
- What are three things I can hear? (for example, clock on the wall, car going by, music in the next room, my breath)
- What are three things I can see? (for example, this table, that sign, that person walking by)
- What are three things I can feel? (for example, the chair under me, the floor under my feet, my phone in my pocket)
- What are three things that I can smell? (for example, flowers in the room, the laundry detergent, the soap on my hands)
- What are three things I can taste? (for example, my tea, a cracker, a grape)
Think of these answers to yourself slowly, one sense at a time. It is impossible to do this exercise and not be mindful in the present moment.